Are you a Windows user? Want to install Windows but don’t have a CD drive on your PC/laptop? Don’t worry; we have come here with a solution to this problem.
We have given the ways how you can install Windows on your PC without a CD drive. Since CD / DVD drives are nearly never used nowadays, people need an alternative way of installing windows on their laptop/computer. Installing windows on the PC without a CD drive uses a flash drive to install a Windows OS.
We have given instructions on using a flash drive to install Windows on a PC/laptop. These instructions should apply to both Windows 7 and Windows 10.
How To Install Windows Without A CD Drive?: Through A Flash Drive
Task 1 (Preparing The Flash Drive):
To install Windows on a PC, you need to use another laptop / PC to prepare the flash drive that you will be installing Windows from. So, the procedures even below will have to be done on a different computer than the one you are willing to install Windows on.
- Step 1: go to Google and type the phrase “Windows media creation tool.” The result will be as below (in the picture).
- Step 2: click on the search result to download the Windows 10 disk image (ISO file).
- Step 3: Now scroll down and find the option with the label “create Windows 10 installation media” (shown in the picture).
- Step 4: click the “download tool now” button. Upon clicking on the download button, you should download a file with the .exe extension.
- Step 5: After the file has been downloaded, right-click on the file and select “Run as administrator.” It should start a software tool on your screen(shown in the picture).
- Step 6: Select the option “create installation media” and click the NEXT button.
- Step 7: In this step, select your preferred language and the Windows edition that you want to install. Also, You’ll have to select which architecture(x64/x86) of the OS you want to install.
- Step 8: You can also tick on the “Use recommended options for PC” option if you don’t know or have enough knowledge about the things in step 7.
- Step 9: Now click the NEXT button. On this screen, insert a flash drive in the computer and select the “USB flash drive” option.
- Step 10: click the NEXT button. On the next screen, you will see your removable drive listed. Click on its name (shown in the picture). And click on the Next button again.
- Step 11: Now, a download procedure we’ll start. And after the download is complete, You’ll see a message “USB flash drive is ready.” After that, you can detach the USB flash drive from the computer.
Task 2 (Installing Windows From The Flash Drive)
This procedure is to be done on the PC/laptop that you are willing to install on.
- Step 1: Turn off your computer or laptop. Make sure it’s completely shut down.
- Step 2: Plug in the flash drive that you have prepared in task 1. Now, press the bar button off your computer/laptop and, at the same time, tap on the F2/F8/F10/DEL/Esc key on your keyboard. You should see a boot menu.
- Step 3: From the boot menu, you should see your flash drive name. Please select it and press the enter button.
- Step 4: In this step, a blue screen will appear in front of you where you’ll have to select your preferred language And time format. Also, you’ll have to select your preferred keyboard input method. Now click on the Next button.
- Step 5: a page will open showing you the terms and conditions from Microsoft. Tick on the accept button and then click on the Next button.
- Step 6: click on the second option, “custom: install Windows only.” And click the NEXT button.
- Step 7: In this step, select the hard drive partition where you want to install Windows.
- Step 8: Click NEXT. Then you should see the windows installation has started. Percentages will be shown to you of each step that is being completed.
- Step 9: After the steps are completed, you should navigate through the startup setup process pretty easily. Take the help from this video if needed.